Tuesday, July 10, 2012

10 July 2012


Hello family!
I hope you've all had a great week.  We had a good week here.
We've had 2 good lessons with Patrick this week, but we'll have to pass him off to a family ward in Foothill Ranch this week because he's only 17.  Mason and his cousins have been doing a great job in missionary work! 
Shari [edit] came to church this week!!!  She didn't make it for sacrament, but came for the last half of Sunday school and then to Relief Society.  Sis Chambers said she looked happy and participated in RS.  We are so glad!  Shari said she had a good time.  It was her first time back to church in Mission Viejo in several years.
We had a lesson with Anthony [edit] on Friday.  He said he's going to move his goal up to quit smoking on July 5 instead of July 16.  The first thing he said when we came in was "I'm sick of smoking.  Last night I had my last cigarette and I'm done now."  He knows it's going to be really rough for the next little while but he's willing to use his agency and get it done!  We also finally met with Josh [edit], who is a fairly recently-returned member.  He's a pretty funny guy.  Probably going to play football at the U of U next year.  He's been recruited a lot by the coaches.  We taught the restoration and talked about modern day prophets.  He's going to invite his friend Chris to the next lesson.
July 4th was a weird day.  We started with district meeting in Ladera Ranch.  Elder Satuala had me trip through the national anthem on the piano even though I couldn't play it very well.  I was happy to see more American flags out in the streets compared to Vista last year, but still wasn't like Utah will all the Scout flags everywhere!  (There is a lady pacing quickly back and forth behind me, it's really weird)  All of our lessons cancelled and it was useless to tract, so we stopped by a couple member families before they went to the beach, and tried to talk to other people barbequing and such.  At night, Ladera Ranch had some concert going on, but for the most part, it was quiet around town.  At dark, most cities around had a firework show, but we didn't have a good view of any shows.  I got what I could on camera, but it wasn't great.  When we got into bed, Elder Mason pulled out some patriotic poems that he has like the Midnight Ride of Paul Revere and others, and read them.  Then we looked at different scriptures that talk about America or the Constitution.  It was a good Independence Day!
I played organ in church again this week.  That'll probably be the last week I do it.  We'll see, I guess.  I've already used both sacrament hymns I know twice each.
I went on an exchange with Elder McLelland (Ogden) yesterday.  He was in my district in Vista and is a very excited and enthusiastic person.  We had a lot of fun.  We tried by a former investigator, who showed us his decades-old corvette that he has restored.  After showing us everything, we taught him a short version of the Restoration using the analogy of restoring a car with all of its engine parts, oil, car parts, and everything that goes with that.  It was a really cool analogy.  He wasn't interested though.
That's about it for this week.  I hope y'all have a great week.  If you have any questions for me, let me know
Love
Elder La Follette

No comments:

Post a Comment